Monday, March 26, 2007

Good Night: The Sleep Doctor's 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health


When I was pregnant with my youngest the sleeplessness started in my first trimester and pretty much never went away. First it was needing to go to the bathroom every couple of hours all night long, then it was what the OB called hormonal insomnia--his really bad news, when it let up I'd be too uncomfortable to sleep--he was right. So for roughly 9 months I didn't sleep much at all. After Boobah was born it was life with a nursing newborn but infinitely better than it had been, at least I was awake for a reason. Fast-forward 3 years, I have a bum gallbladder, the doctor says it doesn't have to come out right away--so I put it off for nearly a year. Much of that year I was up at night with pain or indigestion. Given those experiences I jumped at the chance to review Dr. Bruess' Good Night.

After the introduction, the beginning chapter of the book discusses the need for good sleep and the most common causes of a sleepless night:
· Anxiety, stress and nervousness
· Caffeine consumption
· Parenting
· Bed partners
· Hormonal fluctuations
· Travel, especially business travel
Knowing that at least 4 of the 6 were issues for me on a regular basis I started the book with great hope for helping with my sleep issues. The first chapter sets up the rest of the book well, introducing the sleep issues and making you want to read more to find out how to cope with them for a good night’s rest.

The next chapter looks at the three most common problems that cause disordered sleep; anxiety and stress, caffeine consumption and gender. For each there is a good overview, a quiz to evaluate your own experiences and an action plan for coping. After that Dr. Brues describes the three people who impact your sleep kids, bed partner and business travel. Having two kids who get up at night semi-regularly and a husband with a snoring problem I was glad to have some new strategies to try and deal with them. My husband and I now have designated nights to get up with the kids instead of waiting each other out to see who gives in first, it is nice to have the expectation that you’ll get up relieved some nights. The other area where my sleep experience definitely needs work is a new bed. My husband has been advocating for a new bed for the last year or so and I’ve resisted due to the cost. Now I am convinced that it is costing us both sleep and that’s not a price worth paying, next week when my folks have the girls we need to head out and shop for a new bed. Thankfully the book has tips for picking out a bed that works for both of you.

The next chapter describes the “Extreme (but Easy!) Bedroom Makeover. I considered our room relatively sleep friendly and we scored well on several points—we keep the house cool at night and we have dark drapes to keep the room dark. We already had it planned so that it wasn’t necessary to turn on lights at night to go to the bathroom and a no flushing plan to keep it quiet. The biggest culprit we need to tackle is keeping the room neater so that the mess doesn’t keep us (or at least me) from a good night’s sleep. I also turned the alarm clocks away from the bed so I wouldn’t clock watch at night and the light wouldn’t bother me when I did wake up.

Dr. Michael Breus spends the next few chapters of the book convincing the reader that the right amount of sleep has a significant effect on our health—maintaining weight, better sex life, and slowing down the aging process. Who wouldn’t want to take advantage of that?! Having struggled with my weight for years and having read some of the newer studies that say that sleep deprivation can heighten the risk for diabetes I was won over on the need for more/better sleep. I think the action plans in the preceding chapters have set me up for moving closer to the goal of a good night’s sleep. I was left envious of the chapter on napping, as a working Mom the chance of fitting a nap into my schedule is pretty slim. I could appreciate the napping advice and the restorative possibilities though.

Finally, I had reached the promised land, the 28-day program for better sleep. As I read the first part of the section on the Sleep Boot Camp I knew I was in trouble. Having started a diet and exercise re-do in the last few months I realized I couldn’t tackle them all at once. I was making other substantial changes in my life and totally re-vamping my sleeping lifestyle was going to cause me more stress than I was already under. I felt ready to tackle the action plans described earlier in the book and make some improvements in my sleep but the 28 day program, at this point in my life, felt like the restrictive diet that cuts out a lot of things that I just wasn’t willing to give up right now—like TV an hour before bed. For now, I am armed with some common sense things that are making a difference in my quality and quantity of sleep. Hopefully if these steps don’t work, in the not so distant future I will be ready to fully tackle my next step to health and wellness—a good night’s sleep through the 28 day plan.

The book is good at laying out causes for not sleeping, a way to self evaluate and provides plans for helping you deal with the problems. There are many interesting sidebars such as myth busters and information about how people sleep around the world. I truly appreciated the recognition that parenting and mothering in particular are hard work. The discussion of gender and hormone issues hit home for me as well. There are many notes and appendices to guide you through the journey to better sleep including Dr. Brues’ website, the insomnia blog and your beauty sleep sites. I would recommend the book to others struggling with sleep making sure to point out that it takes some work and commitment to truly solve your sleep problems. Like so many other things in our lives, you have to be ready to make changes to be successful in reaching your goal.

No comments: