Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Maven Says (with help from Abby): BrainQuest Gets a Big Thumbs Up!

As soon as the Brain Quest DVD game arrived at our house my daughter was begging to play. In the box were the DVD and a small deck of quiz cards. We popped the DVD in the player and it started right up with questions. I was a bit surprised expecting a bit of an introduction or some instructions, Abby on the other hand LOVED the fact that there were no previews or other "useless stuff."

Abby turned 6 at the beginning of the month and is in Kindergarten so we were on the entry level for this game targeted at 6-8 year olds in first to third grade. Being on the young end of the age range I expected her to find the majority of the questions difficult. I was pleased that although she didn't know the answer to many of the questions right off the bat, she could figure out the answers to many of them. The biggest barrier to her playing the game independently was her reading level. Although the questions and answers are read aloud, she often needed a second go through to get the answer. For me, this was a bonus as it introduced her to new words and gave her fun opportunities to sound out new words.

I think the Brain Quest game will be great for breaking up the monotony on long car rides--you can only watch so many DVDs. Abby loved selecting the right answers with the remote control so I'm sure the car remote will be a hot new commodity! With 500 randomly selected questions we will be able to play the game for a long time to come.

I enjoyed playing the game along with her, I must admit that there were a few questions about grammar that had me digging deep into the recesses of my memory. As I said before, the DVD starts right up with questions, the control freak in me would have liked a little more instruction before starting up but it didn't bother Abby at all. The other concern was the huge amount of packing material for the contents, having grown up in a house where recycling was king this seemed like a bit of a waste.

We will definitely continue to play the game and it will go on my list of potential party gifts. It is great for boys or girls, has a relatively wide age range, isn't season specific and you don't have to worry about which character is "in" this week exactly the kind of thing I am looking for when a party invitation arrives for a child I don't know well.

Check out the Brighter Minds Media website for more information on the Brain Quest DVD game for 6-8 year olds as well as an edition for older kids, 8-10. I was happy to see something that we could grow into.

No comments: