Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Maven Says: Land's End Hydro Trekker Big Disappointment


Last summer I ordered the last model of these shoes and they were perfect for the kids. For school and camp there is a no open toe rule and these fit the bill of being cool and comfy while keeping the tootsies nice and covered. The kids loved them, I loved them and they didn't start to smell bad until the end of the summer. They were reasonably priced too so one full summer of wear was totally worth it--not something that could be passed down after day in, day out wear and I was okay with that.

So this year I ordered the new version as soon as the weather started to warm up. Unfortunately not nearly as useful as last summer's design. The heel strap unbuckles from the shoe. You see where I am going here? The last thing I want my 3 & 6 year old to have is the ability to lose part of their shoes. Its already been a battle with my 6 year old who likes to make them into clogs. I am also getting fights about wearing them, they aren't very comfortable she has declared.



I guess that just goes to prove that continuous improvment is sometimes just change and not actually improvement. This years version is shown below, cute but sadly, not nearly so functional. Do I give in and order a pair of last year's overstocks? Hmmm, why didn't I think of that in the first place?!

No comments: