Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Maven Says: Jump Start Learning with Jump Start World

My girls love the computer. I am hesitant to let them play online when I can't be right there beside them--I think the sites are safe but who knows what is lurking out there in the great Internet world. So when Parent Bloggers gave me the opportunity to review a computer game that didn't require the kids to be online I jumped at the opportunity to take a look at Jump Start World 1st Grade for PDQ.

I found the initial installation to be a bit slow and frustrating but I don't often install software so I have no idea how it compares to other programs. Of course having a little person asking if it is done yet every thirty seconds probably made it seem a LOT longer than it really was! Once it was loaded up we were ready to go.

I started by visiting the parents center and entering the girls' birth dates and the holidays we celebrate for personalization in the game. You can also enter messages for your child(ren) through the parents center that then show up as banners in the game. I love the fact that the game can be personalized for my children. I think that having their name and information right there engages them right off the bat.

Next I sat with PDQ to pick out her character--girly, girl for her. Soon I was being shooed away and it was obvious that she would do much better at figuring out the intricacies of the game without my help. Boobah is only a preschooler but she is itching to get her hand on the game as well--oh the fights that will ensue. I will definitely take a look at the Kindergarten version to help her get a Jump Start on the skills she'll need for Kindergarten (a place we hope she'll be next year despite her missing the cutoff by 2 days).

There are opportunities to buy additional adventure packs for the game online through the Jump Start World website. It allows you to keep your child engaged in the game over time. I would recommend the game as a holiday present, assuming the other versions are as engaging at the 1st grade one I would recommend it for kids pre-K through 2nd grade. I will definitely be looking into it for one of the kids in the family gift exchange.

Check out what others have to say about it in the mid-campaign round-up at Parent Bloggers. Other bloggers have added it to the holiday must have list. At $19.95 the hours of engagement for your child and the fun learning are well worth the investment.

No comments: