Sunday, September 9, 2007

Maven Says: Style me up


My latest offering from Parent Bloggers Network is the new book The Little Black Book of Style by Elle Magazine Fashion Director and Project Runway Judge Nina Garcia. As a serious Project Runway fan I could hear Nina's voice with its Colombian accent as I read the book written as if I were having a conversation with her.

The most important (and probably hardest to carry out) piece of advice in the book was to edit your wardrobe. She challenges you to find the truly remarkable pieces in your wardrobe and pitch everything else. I know I've stared at a full closet only to feel like I had nothing to wear. Garcia urges to get rid of them advising "its much easier to be inspired when you see five remarkable pieces than when you see twenty-five pieces and twenty of them are unremarkable." Ouch, that is a story I know all too well! I've got some serious editing of my own to do! There were moments as I read that I felt a little like one of the fashion victims on What Not to Wear whining to Stacey and Clinton--thinking in my head, I can't get rid of that, its comfortable or has sentimental value. I am obviously in a suburban Mommy clothing rut.

Garcia waxes poetic about heels and the few times you shouldn't wear them. My general feeling about heels are they are lovely on other people and I'll wear them for special occasions. I did agree with her however on the philosophy of shoes, lots of shoes. My closet doesn't have a single pair of Manolo's or Jimmy Choo's but it does have lots and lots of other pairs. I am sure that Nina wouldn't approve of most of my low heeled, practical, comfortable shoes but I do appreciate the sentiment that shoes make the outfit and having LOTS of them is good, very good. Right along with shoes was her advice on accessories making the outfit. As someone who has been a "big girl" most of my life I can honestly say I am an accessory and shoe hound because no matter what size I've been I can always find shoes and accessories that fit!

The Little Black Book of Style is not a how to guide for dressing. There is no magic formula for putting piece A with piece B to come out with stunning outfit C. There are tips about how to take advantage of classics and suggestions for how to dress for various occasions. For the true fashionista there is a question and answer section in the back of the book with top fashion designers. Most importantly, the book makes you think about and how to develop one of your own. I'm off to try and edit my closet and think about what pieces are truly remarkable and which ones belong in the trash.

1 comment:

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Thanks for the review! I heard about this book and was wondering how "good and useful" i was before buying it! Love your honesty.
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues
www.pinksandblues.com